Nashville's Social Enterprise Environment
What's a social enterprise?
There are lots of ways to answer that question! For the purposes of this site, we're drawing from the definition offered by the Social Enterprise Alliance:
"Social enterprises are businesses whose primary purpose is the common good. They use the methods and disciplines of business and the power of the marketplace to advance their social, environmental and human justice agendas Three characteristics distinguish a social enterprise from other types of businesses, nonprofits and government agencies:
* It directly addresses an intractable social need and serves the common good, either through its products and services or through the number of disadvantaged people it employs.
* Its commercial activity is a strong revenue driver, whether a significant earned income stream within a nonprofit’s mixed revenue portfolio, or a for profit enterprise.
* The common good is its primary purpose, literally “baked into” the organization’s DNA, and trumping all others."
Social enterprises can for for-profit or non-profit.
What do social enterprises need?
|Steady sources of informed:||Increased flows of capital through:||Ways to get smarter, faster by:|
|Social enterprises||Donors, investors, consumers||Professional service providers||Government agencies & offices||Media||A variety of giving and lending services||Capital-flow-friendly corporate and fiscal policy||Creating on + offline places to learn together||Leveraging the power of networks|
Source: Christine Egger for NeighborhoodEconomics.org
How do we create the conditions that generate these resources?
Support social enterprises through:
Inform donors, investors, and consumers through education partnerships with:
- the Center for Nonprofit Management
- the Entrepreneur Center
- Pathway Lending and other CDFI's
- Foundations (including the Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee)
- Localist movement-builders like BALLE (BeALocalist.org)
Support #socent-friendly legislation like:
- Invest Tennessee Exemption (crowdfunded equity)
- B Corporation
Build the pipeline of effective social entrepreneurs
Academic courses / University programs
Leadership Development Conferences, etc.
ie SEA, Skoll
Expand the Market
Increase Business Acumen
Business Service Providers
Shared space models
much more to add