1700 Broadway is a 10-story building that has gone by various names over the years. It was designed in 1913 by Walter Reed, and constructed by P.J. Walker, completed in 1914.
It was originally known as the Thomson Building. It was built by the daughter and son of Peter Thomson, Lucy Fay Thomson and William Edward Thomson, who financed $200,000 for the construction. An early rendering shows it with two towers, but only one was constructed. 1
Beginning in about 1923, it was referred to as the Hutchison Building, suggesting it had been sold. 3 This name often appears associated with 1706 Broadway, but that is part of the same building.
In 1926, it was sold to the Great Western Power Company, 4 and became known as the Great Western Power Building. The company did a large remodel in 1928. 5
By 1935, it was known as the Western Professional Building.
It had the facade redone in 1958, when it became the First Savings Building. 6,7,9
The Emporis website says it also underwent renovations in 2002. 8
Links and References
- Ten-Story Building for Broadway and 17th Oakland Tribune May 9, 1913
- Three Oakland Skyscrapers All in a Row Oakland Tribune January 12, 1914
- Oil Operations Open East Bay Office Oakland Tribune April 11, 1923
- 17th, Broadway Building Believed Near Sale Oakland Tribune February 10, 1926
- Great Western Power Co. in Enlarged Quarters Oakland Tribune September 13, 1928
- Broadway Building to Be Remodeled Oakland Tribune January 17, 1958
- Polk's Oakland 1969
- 1700 Broadway emporis.com
- Face Lifting Job Finished on First Savings Building Oakland Tribune July 7, 1958
- Why the Skyscraper? Architect and Engineer July 1914