"The petitioners recognized this use, and in 1853 the block upon which the Hall of Records stands was fenced by the city and called Franklin Square. Upon this square the city authorized the building of an agricultural pavilion for County exhibits, a church and a little iron building which was used as a county jail.1

  1. John J. Allen

Colorful Memories of Judge Allen, Pioneer Resident
Judge John J. Allen
Agricultural Pavilion

Colorful Memories of Judge Allen, Pioneer Resident Judge John J. Allen Agricultural Pavilion Sun, May 11, 1952 – Page 57 · Oakland Tribune (Oakland, California) · Newspapers.com