The Bacon Block (sometimes Bacon Building) was two different commercial buildings on the southeast corner of 12th and Washington.
The first building dated back to 1881 and was originally known as the Land and Loan Company's Building, and featured a large painting of the Great Seal of California on its pediment. 1 It was also known as Cavalry Hall, because the 2nd floor was designed to be the home of the Oakland Light Cavalry. 5 It was built and owned by Henry Douglas Bacon (1817 – 1893), who lived at Oak and 9th until his death in 1893. Bacon donated for the now-demolished Bacon Library and Art Gallery at UC Berkeley, the first purpose-built library on campus. 6
The building burned in a dramatic fire the end of 1902. The fire was particularly fierce because one of the building tenants was the Smith Brothers, who sold stationery, but it was also helped by the construction of the building and a lack of water pressure. 2
A new, larger building was constructed in 1903-1904. 3 The second was built by Henry's son, Francis ("Frank") Page Bacon (1848 – 1928). NB: Henry's great granddaughter was Frances Yvonne Bacon (1910 – 1956), better known as burlesque dancer and actress Faith Bacon.
The new building included an arcade (a covered passage) through the building, with entrances on 11th, 12th, and Washington.
The block is now covered in part by 1111 Broadway. The Bacon Block was probably demolished in 1972, at the same time as the Broadway Theatre, as part of the wider City Center project.
Links and References
- Oakland Brevities Oakland Tribune March 10, 1881
- Bacon Block Is Destroyed by Fire San Francisco Call December 31, 1902
- Stricken While at His Work Oakland Tribune June 8, 1903
H72.131.96C Gift of Herrington & Olson, Oakland Museum of California Collections
Light Cavalry Armory Building Oakland Tribune February 24, 1881
Bacon Library and Art Museum berkeley.edu
990013879770205115 California State Library
The Bacon Block Building Oakland Underfoot blog
Henry Douglas Bacon on FindAGrave.com
Faith Bacon on Wikipedia
First Fan Dancer in Hotel Leap Oakland Tribune September 26, 1956