from Oakland and Surroundings 1

The California Medical College was on Clay St. between 11th and 12th. It was opened May 17, 1878 by Dr. J. Watson Webb.

"The plan of this building excels any similar institution west of Chicago. It is four stories in height. On the second floor are a magnificent hall, and three suites of offices. On the third floor are the amphitheater, a museum, library and laboratory. The dissecting room, the best appointed on the coast, is spacious and thoroughly ventilated by means of the dome." 1

In 1885, there were 10 faculty members. The officers consisted of:

  • D. MacLean, MD - president
  • Colin Cambell - 1st vice-president
  • G. G. Gere, MD - 2nd vice-president
  • J. P. Webb, MD - treasurer
  • H. T. Webster, MD - secretary

Links and References

  1. Oakland and Surroundings W. W. Elliott, 1885