The Chabot Woman's Home (sometimes simply Chabot Home in directories) was a place for "worthy working women" 1 to find affordable housing. The home was dedicated in 1890, and was located "near Oak station" 1 at 65 - 7th Street (or maybe 66 - 7th Street, or later 69 - 7th Street). It was created with an endowment from Anthony Chabot.

In 1890, Mayor John R. Glascock was the president of the board of trustees. Other trustees were Mrs. Emily Chabot, Miss Ellen H. Chabot, Mrs. J. W. Shanklin, Mrs. Emily Vrooman, John P. Irish, Stephen T. Gage, N. W. Spaulding and Rev. C. W. Wendte. Mrs. Lydia A. Prescott was the manager of the home.

The 1935 Polk's Oakland directory refers to it as Chabot Home for Girls. 5

[ Question: the address in different sources changes. Some are possibly typos, but did did 7th Street get renumbered at some point? Or was the facility moved to new addresses? ]

Matrons/Managers

  • 1890 - Lydia A. Prescott
  • 1903 - Miss Lucy Churchill 2
  • 1906 - Miss Eva Henderson 3
  • 1924 - Gertrude R. Briggs 4
  • 1935 - Miss Oliva Moat 5

Links and References

  1. A Woman's Home Daily Alta California August 28, 1890
  2. 1903 Husted's Oakland directory
  3. 1906 Husted's Oakland directory
  4. 1924 Oakland directory
  5. 1935 Polk's Oakland directory