CC SA-BY Our Oakland

Cine 7 Theater was a movie theater in the Laurel District. Originally named the Laurel Theater when it opened in March, 1939, it was designed by Alexander A. Cantin. It was renamed the Cine 7 in 1962, and they briefly tried showing art and foreign films before reverting to more standard films. 1 The theater closed around 1984.

In the early to mid-1970s the Cine 7 theater was very popular with the local youth as they offered a double feature for the low price of fifty cents. One popular pairing was "Jaws" with "American Graffiti" for an entire week in 1975, with groups of local teens going every night to see how many times they could sit through the double billing!

While it closed in 1984, it briefly re-opened as a theater c.1994. [ see Montclarion ]

At some point it was converted into a church, the Dominion Christian Center.

Apparently there are plans to tear it down. In January, 2016, the city approved plans for the Davita Corporation to tear it down and construct a new building with street-level retail and a dialysis clinic. Not everyone in the neighborhood is happy about the plans. 2

Location

3814 MacArthur Boulevard

Links and References

  1. Theatres of Oakland by Jack Tillmany and Jennifer Dowling, Arcadia Publishing
  2. Guest commentary: Oakland must not tear down the Laurel Theater Oakland Tribune March 2, 2016