The Deaf, Dumb and Blind Asylum appears to have been located in Oakland until the building of the asylum was destroyed by fire sometime by or before 1875. When a group from the Nevada State Senate and Assembly visited the asylum in 1875 to check on the welfare of children sent to stay at the facility from Nevada they make note of the fire, and that the children were being provided for in an adjoining building.
Is this the same institution as the California School for the Blind which when built in 1967/68 was located on 130 acres north of the Township of Oakland and east of the soon to be incorporated Township of Berkeley? In the history of the California School for the Blind [linked below] the building is described as Victorian Gothic, which was totally destroyed by fire on January 17, 1875. It would certainly seem to be the same place, as in 1906 "an amendment to the Political Code changed the name from the Asylum for the Deaf, Dumb and Blind, to the California Institution for the Deaf and Blind." So was it originally considered to be in Oakland before the Town/Township of Berkeley was incorporated? [ It was never Oakland. Early references for it are to "the village of Berkeley" before Berkeley was incorporated. If something refers to it as Oakland, it was simply as the nearest town/city of note. There were some Oakland connections, though. Mary Brayton, Rev. Isaac Brayton's wife, was a supporter of it and the Visitors Committee or something like that. She ended up doing a land swap with UC for some land just north of the DD&B Asylum. -Gene ]
In 1887 the facility was listed as the Deaf, Dumb and Blind Institute located in Berkeley, with most of the staff residing in Berkeley.