For many years (initial start date?) OMC 6.04.080 dictated that no dogs were allowed in any City of Oakland parks.
In 2014, spurred by the Astro Dog Park Controversy, the city worked with local groups, including ODOG, to loosen the dog law. Here are the parks where dogs are now allowed:
DOG PLAY AREAS:
- Joaquin Miller Dog Play Area
- Grove Shafter Dog Play Area
- Jefferson Dog Play Area
- Hardy Dog Park
- Mosswod Dog Play Area
- Estuary Park - near Jack London Square.
- South Prescott Park - fenced in park in West Oakland
- Park Blvd. Plaza - small area near the old Parkway Theater
- King Estates Park - huge open space
ON-LEASH ACCESS ONLY