William Dreyer and Joseph Edy became partners in 1928, creating gourmet ice cream which was sold out of their Edy's Grand Ice Cream parlor on Grand Avenue in Oakland (some sources say the original parlor was named Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream ... both companies use 'Grand Ice Cream' in their name and claim credit).
Edy and Dreyer are credited with creating Rocky Road ice cream in 1929. William Dreyer also invented Peppermint Stick, Toasted Almond, Hawaiian Mango and Rum Custard.
The two partners ended their partnership on July 1947.
Dreyer's is now owned by Nestle, but still has its headquarters here, on College Avenue in the Rockridge district.
Links and References
- Dreyer's History WebCitation.org Archives
- Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream Stanford University Graduate School of Business
- Dreyer's Wikipedia
- Dreyer's History timeline on dreyers.com
- Dreyer's to close Union City plant / Overabundance of California ice cream factories forces shutdown SFGate.com October 24, 2003