NAME, Years Elected to City Council
Dudley Chase Brown (1835-1911) was on the City Council in 1887 and 1888.
DC Brown was born in 1835 in Ohio and came to California in 1872. He arrived in Oakland in 1874. After his City Council Term expired in 1888 he was elected to Alameda County Supervisor and in that job oversaw the improvement of roads and traffic conditions. He was also a founding member of the Merchant's Exchange.5
Dudley C Brown was part of the firm Brown & McKinnon, a men's clothing store. He was a founding member of the Union League Club.6
He lived at 677 Eleventh Street.4
Brown is buried in Mountain View Cemetery.
OTHER POSITIONS IN CITY GOVERNMENT
4th District Supervisor Alameda County until 18931
- "OAKLAND NEWS." San Francisco Chronicle: Jan 4, 1893.
- “ACROSS THE BAY.” San Francisco Chronicle: March 15: 1887.
- Alameda County: The Eden of the Pacific. Tribune Publishing Co: 1898.
- "McKenney's Oakland, Alameda and Berkeley City Directory." 1887-88.
- "FORMER COUNCILMAN OF OAKLAND IS DEAD." San Francisco Chronicle: Mar 10, 1911.
- "UNION LEAGUE CLUB TO ORGANIZE ON MONDAY." San Francisco Chronicle: Jul 31, 1904.
- Dudley Brown on Lives of the Dead