Too many children in the Bay Area live in homes without books and attend schools and programs where books are in short supply. Encouraging reading is not enough when families and schools do not have books.
East Bay Children's Book Project was founded to help build literacy by putting books into the hands of children who have little or no access to them. Working through individuals and organizations who help children in need, EBCBP has given out over ONE MILLION books since opening in May 2005. Teachers, social workers, health care professionals and community outreach groups come to our site to select just the right books for the children they serve. Some are used by schools, daycare and community centers, homeless shelters and hospitals to create libraries at their sites. Our clients determine how best to meet the needs of the children with whom they work.
Books are available free of charge to any professional who works with children in need. Please come by our distribution site on Tuesday and/or Thursday from 3 to 6 PM to see our huge selection of children's books. Both fiction and non-fiction books are available for children from pre school through high school.
Since almost all of our books are donated, we are always looking for new sources. Schools, service and religious organizations often hold book drives for us. Individuals donate their children's outgrown books to one our bins. If you can’t make it in to the center during the business hours for whatever reason, you can visit our convenient drop off bins, located at:
- Dr. David Johnson, 2100 Otis Dr # F
- Dr. Karen Larson, 2420 Webb
- Tucker’s Ice Cream, 1349 Park St.
- Books Inc., 1344 Park St.
- Modern Mouse, 2228 S. Shore Ctr.
- Congregation Netivot Shalom, 1316 University
- SPOON Korean Bistro, 933 Ashby Ave.
- Books Inc, 1760 4th St.
- Lakeshore Homes, 907 Underhills,
- Piedmont Grocery, 4038 Piedmont Ave.
- Ruby’s Garden, 5026 Telegraph Ave. #C
- A Great Good Place for Books, 6120 La Salle
- Temescal Library, 5295 Telegraph
- Dr. Comics & Mr. Games, 4014 Piedmont Ave.
- Diesel, 5433 College Ave.
- Laurel Bookstore, 4100 MacArthur Blvd.
- Gymboree, 3433 Lakeshore Ave.
- Crocker Highlands Elementary, 525 Midcrest
- Tech Liminal, 268 14th St
- Head Royce School, 4315 Lincoln Ave
- Oaklandish, 3419 Fruitvale Ave.
- Temple Isaiah, 3800 Mount Diablo Blvd
- Bowl’d Korean, 1479 Solano Ave.
WALNUT CREEK -
- B’nai Tikvah, 25 Hillcroft Way
SAN RAMON -
- Bay Books, 2415 San Ramon Valley Blvd
- Dr. Matsuishi, 7001 Stockton Ave.
- Osher Marin JCC, 200North San Pedro Rd.
- Highland Dental, 26775 Hayward Blvd, Suite P
Please visit the website for more information.