CC SA-BY Our Oakland

First New Jerusalem Baptist Church (also known as the First New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church) is at 1710 - 24th Avenue. It was apparently built sometime prior to the 1930s as the home of the Centennial Presbyterian Church. The First New Jerusalem MBC purchased the building from the Presbytery of San Francisco in 1974.

First New Jerusalem Baptist Church

CC SA-BY Our Oakland

Centennial Presbyterian Church

Centennial Presbyterian Church was started in 1888. The 1888-89 directory lists it at the same location, and Rev. Robert Dickson, DD as the pastor. The 1892-93 directory lists Rev. John Morrison as the pastor. The 23rd Avenue Woman's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU) met there on the 3rd Tuesday of the month.

In 1901, Rev. R. C. Stone was the pastor. 8

In 1911, Rev. Herbert E. Hays was the pastor. 7

From at least 1919 to 1927, Rev. Edward C. Philleo was the pastor. 4

From at least 1928 to 1931, Rev. Ray C. Krug was the pastor. 9

From about 1934 to 1941 , Rev. Elstun J. Campbell was the pastor. 2, 3

Beginning in 1941, Rev. Frederick J. Moore was the pastor. 5

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, an increasing number of newspaper mentions were obituaries of church members. As with many churches, it would seem the congregation aged and wasn't replenished with younger new members. The San Francisco Presbytery sold the church to New Jerusalem Baptist Church in 1974. 6

from 1892-93 Husted's Directory

Links and References

  1. Corporate record for Centennial Presbyterian Church
  2. Page from 1937 Oakland Directory listing Centennial Presbyterian Church at this address
  3. Rev. Campbell's Farewell Oakland Tribune June 28, 1941
  4. Dr. T. C. Knoles on Patriotism at Centennial Oakland Tribune July 1, 1922
  5. Vesper Service at Centennial Oakland Tribune December 20, 1941
  6. 1974 Deed to First New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church 23155326.PDF
  7. Sunday Topics in the Pulpits Oakland Tribune April 8, 1911
  8. Pew and Pulpit Oakland Tribune November 2, 1901
  9. Outstanding Sentences from Eastbay Sermons Oakland Tribune May 20, 1929