Gibbon's Point was a small promontory located on the eastern shore of Oakland, California that was named for one of the early settler who constructed a wharf on the Point, named Gibbon's Wharf.  Construction began on Gibbon's Wharf in August 1862

The name was changed to Oakland Point, and after being acquired by the Central Pacific Railroad, the Point underwent major construction, becoming the Oakland Long Wharf.

After the Southern Pacific Railroad acquired the property, the Oakland Long Wharf was overhauled into the Oakland Mole. (we have the Oakland Long Wharf and Oakland Mole all on one page)