H. Dombrink Company was a company that made stained glass windows from 1900 until at least 1973. It was founded by Henry John Dombrink, Sr. (April 1, 1873 - November 30, 1960) and later managed by his sons, William Dombrink and Henry J. Dombrink, Jr.
The 1903 directory lists Hooper - Dombrink Art Glass (William W. Hooper, H. Dombrink) at 434 San Pablo Avenue. 4 It was Hooper - Dombrink until at least 1914, at 1813 Telegraph, with H. Dombrink, manager. By the 1924 directory, it was H. Dombrink Company, at 2008 Telegraph Avenue.7 [NB: 2008 may be a typo; Dombrink was living at 2008 - 35th Avenue.] From at least 1939, the company was at 2416 Market St. it was managed by Henry Sr., until about 1958, when he retired and turned over management to William and Henry, Jr.
Dombrink works in Oakland include:
- Temple Sinai
- St. Elizabeth Church
- Chapel of Peace at Children's Fairyland
- St. Paul Lutheran Church, 1658 Excelsior Ave.
- Brooklyn Steam Beer sign from King's X Bar
- Grace Methodist Episcopal Church
Other Dombrink works in the Bay Area include:
- chapel at Fairmount Hospital (San Leandro)
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church (Calistoga, 1955) 5
- Good Shepherd Church / Belmont Community Church (Belmont, 1910)
In 1945, H. Dombrink was paid $569.38 for repairs to windows at the Community Congregational Church / United Church of Christ of Benicia. The windows had been damaged by the July 17, 1944 Port Chicago disaster. 6
Henry Dombrink, Sr. was born in Heinrich Dombrink in Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany 2 in 1873, and came to the U.S. in 1895. In 1903, he was living at 535 - 20th Street. In 1924, he was living at 2008 - 35th Avenue. 7
In 1914, Henry Dombrink was a member of the Oakland Rotary Club. 8
Various members of the Dombrink family are buried in St. Mary's Cemetery.
Links and References
- The final churches and temples tour of the Oakland Tours program's 2010 season takes place Wednesday by Annalee Allen Oakland Tribune October 10, 2010
- Henry John Dombrink, Sr. on FindAGrave.com
- Funeral Rites Set Saturday for Stained-Glass Artist Oakland Tribune December 1, 1960
- 1903 Husted's Directory
- Church to Celebrate 50 Years Daily Calistogan June 26, 2006
- Community Congregational Church History Outline 2012 cccucc.org
- 1924 Polk's Directory
- The Rotarian February 1914
- Death Notice: Dombrink, Henry John Sr. Oakland Tribune December 2, 1960