Hale Brothers (later Hale's) was a West Coast department store chain, with a branch in Oakland from 1906 to 1963.
Hale's first came to Oakland immediately following the 1906 earthquake. Their San Francisco store had been dynamited to try to help stop the spread of the flames that ravaged the wrecked city. They acquired what had been Salinger's department store on Washington between 10th and 11th. 2
In January 1963, they announced they were closing the Oakland store along with some others. One employee, Wilhelmina Vogel, had been with Hale's since 1907. 3
Links and References
- ohrphoto.dpoa7.026 Oakland History Center, Oakland Public Library
- Hale Brothers Show Faith in the Future of San Francisco Oakland Tribune June 26, 1907
- Hale's Store Rings Up Last Sale Here Oakland Tribune January 23, 1963