The Havenscourt Tract was developed starting in 1912 by an offshoot of the Realty Syndicate. It had originally been part of the town of Melrose, and was part of the 1909 annexation by Oakland. The modern-day neighborhood includes a larger area.
There was an official entrance to the Havenscourt Tract at International (then East 14th) and Havenscourt with a pergola and a gazebo. Adjacent to the the pergola was a Southern Pacific station built in 1913. Residents lived in California bungalows and took the trolley along International, many commuting to the Chevrolet plant.
Wickham Havens Incorporated sold houses in the tract. This tract is one of the many in the area that had racially discriminatory practices when it came to selling houses: "Negroes, Japanese and Chinese" could not buy there. 1
In 1914, the Havenscourt Tract and the Havenscourt addition were sold to E. J. Henderson to continue development. Wickham Havens, Inc. wanted to focus on developing Piedmont. 3
Links and References
- Oakland's Neighborhoods by Erika Mailman. Oakland: Mailman Press, 2005.
- New Fruitvale Tract on Market Oakland Tribune April 7, 1912
- Realty Transfers and Loans Heavy Oakland Tribune April 26, 1914
- historical photos Oakland Public Library Digital Collections