Henry Atherton Schulze (c.1853 – June 14, 1926) was an architect, noted for designing the church building at 1701 Franklin St. built for First Church Christ, Scientist. He also designed the Olympic Club in San Francisco.
Schulze was born about 1853 in Massachusetts. On December 18, 1878, he married Emma L. Reed (Schulze) (c.1852 – April 29, 1930) in Alameda County, and they had 3 children: Edith M. Schulze, Atherton Paul Schulze, and Howard Reed Schulze.
After they married, Henry and Emma lived at 607 - 16th. Later the family lived at 1018 E17th (512 E17th before a renumbering).
While Schulze's practice was mostly in San Francisco, in 1906, he had an office at 2001 Telegraph Ave. (401 Telegraph before a renumbering).
According to PCAD, in 1906, "Schulze was President of the California State Board of Architecture, and also served on its Northern District Board of Architects." He served along with Clinton Day. 1
Schulze became a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers in 1907. 2
All 3 children worked in the business, at least c.1910, where Edith was a private secretary, Atherton an architect, and Howard a draftsman. 1
Schulze was a member of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), San Francisco Chapter and served on various committees. In 1912, John Galen Howard was the president of the chapter.
Links and References
- Henry Atherton Schulze on PCAD
- Proceedings of the American Society of Civil Engineers, Volume 33, Part 1 1907