The Hotel St. George was located at 371-75 Thirteenth Street, Oakland, California, and is currently the site of the Clarion Hotel.  This Colonial Revival - Mansard hotel building was designed by Walter J. Mathews, who was the builder as well from 1906-1908.

This is a six story mansard roofed brick masonry hotel and store building with simple Classical ornamentation, on an interior lot.  The facade is four bays wide, in a three part vertical composition with a commercial ground floor base, a three story, stucco surfaced shaft, a one story capital, and a one story attic with a sheet metal mansard roof with four pedimented dormers.  Windows are set singly in slightly recessed molded bays.  A molded belt course and modillion block cornice articulate the capital.  The ground floor storefront has been altered; wood clerestory windows remain on the left side above the entry and lobby window of the residential hotel.

This building was developed by capitalist and wine merchant Charles Jurgens as a "lodging house," perhaps originally for 1906 earthquake refugees, and also housed Jurgen's business headquarters.  The mansard top story, a rarity in Oakland, appears to have been added in 1907-1908.  It is an unusual design by Oakland's prolific and influential early architect Walter J. Mathews.

This historic building is #38 on the list of District Contributors for the Downtown Oakland Historic District Registration Form.

Links & References

National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Downtown Oakland Historic District