The Hotel Vendome was a small hotel at 955½ Washington Street. It first opened in January 1878 as the Occidental House, with Mrs. O.H. Tufts, proprietor. 1,2 It was later renamed Girard House.
When it opened, a brief article in the Tribune described it as the first four-story building constructed in Oakland, 2 which may have made it the tallest building in Oakland at the time.
By 1884, it had been renamed Girard House, with A.C. Newman proprietor. 4 In 1898, it was renamed the Hotel Vendome, with N., L.S.L., and C.B. Pfister, proprietors. 5
Links and References
- The Occidental House Oakland Tribune December 5, 1877
- Oakland Brevities Oakland Tribune January 3, 1878
- Oakland Landmark Being Razed for Market Expansion Oakland Tribune April 21, 1940
- ad Oakland Tribune May 3, 1884
- ad Oakland Tribune December 1, 1898
- ohrphoto.dpoa10.056 Oakland History Center, Oakland Public Library