The Howard Automobile – Dahl Chevrolet Showroom is a building at the corner of Broadway and 27th Street which was built in 1924 for the Howard Automobile Company as a Buick showroom. When the building opened, the address was 2735 Broadway, but it is also sometimes identified as 2735 Webster Street. It was designed by architect Benjamin Geer McDougall, and C. S. Howard, president of the company. 1 Later users included Dahl Chevrolet and other dealers, and it is currently occupied by Autocom Nissan.
A Historic Resources Inventory Report prepared as part of the Broadway/Valdez District Specific Plan EIR described the building as "a two story Beaux Arts commercial building with reinforced concrete walls, a straight parapet, pilaster and bay composition, pilaster caps, and industrial sash windows on the second floor." 3
When constructed, the building was in the middle of the block between 28th Street and 26th Street, since 27th Street between Telegraph Avenue and Broadway was not constructed until 1956. The original configuration is shown in this excerpt from the 1951 Sanborn map for the area.
Links and References
- Oakland Firm Starts Work on Big New Building Oakland Tribune March 2, 1924
- Drawing of building for grand opening announcement Oakland Tribune August 17, 1924
- Broadway/Valdez District Specific Plan, Final Historic Resources Inventory Report, City of Oakland, July 2009