The KLX radio station was born in the early 1920s out of a radio school located in The Hotel Oakland. After the Oakland Tribune bought the license, they moved to the 20th floor of Tribune Tower. They broadcast many live sporting and musical events, including Oakland Oaks baseball games and concerts from Sweet's Ballroom.
The station was sold in 1959 and became the rock station KEWB otherwise known as "Cube," broadcasting from the Bermuda Building.
KEWB Channel 91, Oakland, California, 1959-1966 - includes on-air clips - http://www.sfradiomuseum.com/audio/kewb/
Links & References
- The Histories of KZM and KLX, Oakland, California by John F. Schneider at the Bay Area Radio Museum