Lafayette Elementary School, also called West Oakland Music Academy (WOMA) for a short period of time, was an OUSD school located at 1700 Market St. in West Oakland. The site, adjacent to Marston Campbell Park, is now the home of KIPP Bridge Academy, a charter school
In 1887 Lafayette School was on southwest Jefferson between 11th and 12th Street and Miss Abbie F. Aldrich was the Principal of Lafayette School, along with a staff of 13 Teachers: Miss Tillie C. Lisson, Miss Mildred J. Scott, Miss Josie Lennon, Miss Nellie Cook, Miss Mary F. Potter, Miss Elizabeth M. Sherman, Miss Anna Newcum, Mrs. Helen E. Breed, Miss Margaret Wythe, Miss Julia E. Sherman, Mrs. Marcia G. Bradbury, Miss Ida Seely, Mrs. Emma W. Anderson; and Janitor, Allen Peel.
The current building was dedicated October 28, 1949. 2
Links and References
- Oakland Public Library, Oakland History Room and Maps Division
- School Building Dedication Set Oakland Tribune October 28, 1949
- Image used with permission by UC Berkeley, Bancroft Library