The Linden Street YWCA was formed in 1920 and was at 828 Linden Street. It provided important services especially to black West Oaklanders until the national YWCA integrated in 1944.
In 1944 it became officially known as the West Oakland Center of the YWCA, 1 but it was frequently still referred to as the Linden Street "Y".
Lulu Chapman was the executive director of the YWCA from 1929 to at least 1945. 1,4
Links and References
Remembering the Linden Street YWCA by Dorothy Lazard, Oakland Heritage Alliance News Winter 2013
Linden Branch YWCA to Seek New Members Soon Oakland Tribune September 20, 1942
Linden YWCA Widens Its Functions Oakland Tribune November 8, 1944
- Y.W.C.A. Linden Branch, Oakland, California group photograph African American Museum and Library at Oakland, MS189_0809
- Linden Branch of YWCA Oakland History Center ohrphoto.oaklandclubs.054
- Y.W.C.A. Sets Final Party Oakland Tribune June 23, 1945