Markus Hardware refers to a downtown hardware store, C. Markus Hardware, founded by Clarence Markus and later run by his daughter Reba Markus (Altwarg)(Ginsburg), or its successor, Markus Supply Hardware, run by Markus' grandson and great-grandson, near Jack London Square.
Markus opened his first dedicated hardware store in December 1926, at the southeast corner of Washington and 7th Streets. He had previously run a clothing store on Washington Street, then a combination general merchandise and hardware store on Broadway. 1
In 1957, the store moved to 301 Jefferson St. where they had 60,000 square feet, half again as much space as the previous location.
Since c.1993, Reba's son Daniel Altwarg and grandson Brian Altwarg have run Markus Supply Hardware at 625 - 3rd Street. 2
Links and References
- Markus Supply Hardware website
- New Hardware Store Opens in Washington St. Oakland Tribune December 17, 1926
- Reba Ginsburg obituary legacy.com
- ohrphoto.dpoa7.009.jpg from Oakland History Room
- grand opening ad Oakland Tribune April 3, 1957