In January 1935 a small 20 pages booklet of poetry, stories and community activities, advertisements and a recipe for Pumpkin Chiffon Pie appeared in mailboxes in the Merriewood area of the Montclair District. It was sponsored by the Merriewood - Pinehaven Improvement Club and was distributed for free.
It was called the Montclair Clarion and it was the earliest forerunner of The Montclarion. The editor was Margery Lane Schuler who lived on Merriewood Drive. Schuler was also the advertising manager, copy reader, publisher, and art director.
In her first editorial, Schuler wrote that the Montclair Clarion expected to " have a great many people become more aware of the beauty of the district" 1.
On the cover of the April 1935 edition boasted a circulation of 1000 and by the September 1935 the little book was less than 10 pages.
By November 1937 the publisher and editor was Realtor Paul Pause's bride of two years Bea Pause. The name was changed to "Montclarion" 2.
Recently Chris Treadway shared a copy of the Montclair Clarion from February-March 1935 on the Facebook group Forgotten Montclair.