Oakland's "New" Free Market at 6th and Washington was opened in 1913 by J.C. Rohan, William J. Kelly, and Samuel Livingstone. 5 They had been in business since at least 1907. 1,2 (Not to be confused with the older Oakland Free Market.)
It appears they were in direct competition with the Oakland Free Market.
Links and References
- grand opening ad Oakland Tribune April 4, 1907
- Oakland's New Free Market Oakland Tribune February 11, 1913
- ads Oakland Tribune May 23, 1913
- Polk-Husted 1911 Directory
- New Free Market Building Has Novel Framework Oakland Tribune December 15, 1912