Norman Marks Health Club (originally Norman Marks Physical Culture Studio) was a long-time gym founded by namesake Norman Marks in 1946. Marks' daughters Rhonda and Wendi took over running it after Norman died in 2009. They closed the gym in 2011, but continued the associated chiropractic practice. 1
Originally the gym was upstairs at the northeast corner of 14th and Webster. At some point after 1966, it moved one block east to 298 - 14th Street, at Harrison. The sign was still visible there until mid-2018 when it was painted over.
Marks had been inspired by Jack LaLanne, who ran a gym nearby. Marks won Mr. California in 1948. 1
Links and References
- Oakland’s Norman Marks Health Club closes after 65 years Oakland Tribune January 7, 2011
- ohrphoto.dpoa8.027 Oakland History Center, Oakland Public Library
- ohrphoto.dpoa5.002 Oakland History Center, Oakland Public Library
- Norman Marks obituary legacy.com