The Oakland City Hall (1869) was the first of Oakland three publicly-owned city halls. This structure was built on the corner of 14th Street at Washington Street (which didn't go through the plaza) in 1869, but was destroyed by fire on August 25, 1877. The mansard roofed structure designed by Samuel Busbee (Bugbee?) and cost $70,000 to $80,000.
Links and References
- A Steeple Among the Oaks: A Centennial History of the First Methodist Church 1862-1962 By Albert E. Norman 1
- The buildings of Oakland, with a section on Piedmont / Robert Bernhardi