Oakland Fire Dept. Station 2 is a currently inactive fire station at Jack London Square. It was built to house the crew for the City of Oakland fireboat. The Sea-Wolf fireboat is moored there now, but is unstaffed.
The first station was built by the Port of Oakland and turned over to the city in 1949. 1 A new station was built in [ before 1963 ].
Fewer wooden warehouses and other structures along the waterfront, the increase of containerized shipping through the port, and improvements in ship-board fire fighting have reduced the need for a fireboat. However, it will likely be needed if the next large earthquake on the Hayward fault damages the water supply. 2
The station is home to the OFD's Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and is used for training.
Links and References
- Port to Present Fire Department with $75,000 Station Oakland Tribune September 5, 1949
- Oakland's Idled Fireboat Imperils City, Critics Say NBC Bay Area January 9, 2017
- Oakland Fire Department Historical Archive
- new firehouse for fireboat Oakland Tribune September 6, 1949
- New Port Firehouse Opened Oakland Tribune September 7, 1949