The Oakland Sister Cities Program, which although an official City of Oakland program, is mainly operated by various community groups who oversee a variety of cultural exchange activities between Oakland and each of the sister cities.
Oakland has a Sister City relationship with the following international cities:
- Fukuoka, Japan (established 1962) www.city.fukuoka.jp
- Nakhodka, Russia (1975) www.oakland-nakhodka.org
- Sekondi-Takoradi, Ghana (1975)
- Dalian, China (1982) www.dl.gov.cn (see also www.oaklandworld.org)
- Ocho Rios, Jamaica (1986)
- Santiago de Cuba, Cuba (2000) www.oakland-santiagodecubasistercities.org/
- Agadir, Morocco (2004)
- Danang, Vietnam (2005) www.danang.gov.vn
- Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia (2006)
These cultural exchange programs were created to strengthen international partnerships, promote cultural understanding, increase cooperation, advance education, stimulate business relationships for the economic benefit of both cities and encourage peace.
Some of the activities Sister Cities engage in include educational student exchanges; government receptions; artist visits; humanitarian aid and the promotion of trade and commerce.