The Palace Theatre was originally built in 1923 as a Vaudeville theater. The 1,146 seat theater was decorated in Spanish Mission style. 1 In 1931, the theater was remodeled to show movies and to look like a palace. 2

In 1953, the building was sold to the Mount Calvary Missionary Baptist Church.

Circa 2014, the building was purchased(?) by Lucid Dream Lounge, LLC, with the purpose of turning it back into a performance space, with a capacity of 820+ people. It also houses Kenjitsu Dojo Oakland and a number of aritist's studios.

Links and References

  1. Theatres of Oakland by Jack Tillmany and Jennifer Dowling
  2. www.palacetheateroakland.com website