The Phyllis Wheatley Club of the East Bay was established in 1914 by Mrs. Fred Williams and Hettie B. Tilghman in Oakland. Named in honor of African American poet Phillis Wheatley (May 8, 1753 – December 5, 1784), the mission of the organization was the cultivation of young African American women and encourage them to contribution to their community.
The goal of the club change and expanded its focus to that of a charitable fundraising group in support of various local community services and programs in the East Bay. Annual flower shows, annual Mother's Day breakfasts, fashion shows and community theater productions comprised the majority of the club's fundraising activities.
Links and References
- Phyllis Wheatley Club on Wikipedia