The Poirier House was "the estate of Jean Baptiste Poirier, a member of Fils de Liberte who entered exile from Canada after the rebellion of 1837. He settled on land acquired from Vicente Peralta at what is now 6149 Shattuck Avenue. The first structures were built in 1851 and are visible at the left of the main house. The compound was demolished in 1954 for construction of an apartment building. The elder Poirier's widow, the former Rose De Lima, stands behind the picket fence, her daughter Eugenie beside her and son, Andrew F., between the horses in the foreground. Telegraph cables are visible aloft."