c.1937 1

The Schutz Building was a 3-story commercial building on the north side of 12th St.  between Broadway and Washington. It was purchased in 1903 by Fred W. Schutz, 2 and owned by his heirs until 1945. 3

Schutz owned multiple properties downtown, including the Winsor Hotel.

As happened to with many downtown properties, the building was modernized in the 1930s. Architect Edward T. Foulkes designed the modernization and oversaw the construction. 4

1951 Sanborn excerpt

c.1936 51936 4c.1937 1

Links and References

  1. ohrphoto.dpoa10.027 Oakland History Center, Oakland Public Library
  2. Pardee Property Is Sold For $65,000 Oakland Tribune January 2, 1903
  3. Schutz Building, on 12th Street, Sold Oakland Tribune March 22, 1945
  4. Structure to Be Modernized Oakland Tribune January 21, 1936
  5. ohrphoto.dpoa10.026 Oakland History Center, Oakland Public Library