from Greater Oakland 1911

The Security Bank and Trust of Oakland was a bank in Oakland in the early 1900s. Initially called the Athenian Bank, by the time they incorporated later in 1903 it became Security Bank and Trust of Oakland. In 1918 it was absorbed by the Bank of Italy, which then became Bank of America.

Allen D. Wilson was one of the founders of the bank in 1903 and was the vice president. By the end of the year, it had increased its stock from 750 shares at $75,000 to 10,000 shares at $1,000,000 1 and changed the name to Security Bank and Trust of Oakland. 5

H. C. Capwell was also a founder and was the president of the bank 1903–1912(+).

The initial location was in the Everts Block on the southeast corner of 11th and Broadway. 7 In 1911 architect Frederick H. Meyer designed the new Security Bank and Trust Building on the northeast corner, which is now better known as the Key System Building. The ground floor was used by the bank and the upper floors rented to tenants, 3 and in 1912 the bank moved into its new quarters.

In 1904, Charles A. Smith was the cashier and R. S. Knight the assistant cashier. The bank directors were Capwell, Wilson, T. W. Corder, Charles J. Heeseman, Charles E. Snook, Theodore Gier. Dr. Hayward, G. Thomas, W. F. Burbank, E. P. Vandercook, W. H. L. Hynes, and R. T. Harding.

In 1911, Charles A. Smith was the cashier and C. F. Rilliet the assistant cashier. The bank directors were Capwell, Wilson, T. W. Corder, W. H. L. Hynes, Charles E. Snook, Charles J. Heeseman, Hayward G. Thomas, John A. Beckwith, Frank K. Mott, and Carl Plaut. 4

The bank directors were the same in 1912, with the addition of P. J. Walker. The officers were the same except there were now two assistant cashiers, H. L. Winston and J. R. Westdahl.

Links and References

  1. Bank Increases Stock San Francisco Call October 21, 1903
  2. Security Bank to Build a New Home San Francisco Call January 21, 1911
  3. Security Bank Will Erect New Building San Francisco Call September 22, 1910
  4. Security Bank Votes to Retain Officers San Francisco Call October 4, 1911
  5. Bank Changes Name Oakland Tribune October 21, 1903
  6. Bank Elects Officers San Francisco Call October 9, 1904
  7. New Bank Is Fully Organized Oakland Tribune November 24, 1903