Taylor Memorial United Methodist Church is a Methodist church at 1188 - 12th Street in West Oakland.
The church began in 1921. It was originally Taylor Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church, and was the first African-American church of that denomination in northern California. Via a merger, it became a United Methodist Church in 1968.
Mayor E.K. Taylor of Alameda gave to help erect the first building for Taylor Church. At his request, the name Taylor was selected in memory of his father, the late Bishop William Taylor. Rev. Albert Scott was the first minister, serving from 1921 to 1924. 1