The mission of The Zorgos Project is to a) build & strengthen supportive parent networks in Oakland, and b) expand/grow positive psychology through parent leadership
Read ~ Learn ~ Share
REDUCE BULLYING & CREATE FRIENDSHIPS ~ REDUCE FEAR & GROW PATHWAYS TO LOVE ~ CREATE ACTION, NOT REACTION
The Zorgos Project is a city-wide reading group of The Bullying Antidote by Oakland authors Dr. Louise Hart and Kristen Caven, In 2015, 3000 copies were donated to Oakland Parents Together (OPT) by the publisher, Hazelden/Betty Ford. The books are available for free to school, church, work, family, and community groups to read and study together. The purpose of this give-away is to increase knowledge about the mechanics of the bullying dynamic and positive parenting skills, and to build connection and support among Oakland's parents. The de-centralized nature of the project allows readers to self-pace using the author's discussion guide.
Zorgos, which is esperanto for “I will take care,” is a nickname the authors gave to the positive personal power that transcends the bullying dynamic. The book teaches parents how to imbue their children with this quality. LISTEN to the Zorgos PSA!
The Bullying Antidote provides a well-researched understanding of the problem of bullying—which reaches from schoolyards to jails and boardrooms alike—and a how-to guide for transforming the problem by creating healthy families. In addition to guidelines for handling bullying, and insight into how schools handle bullying, the book provides a wealth of information on everything from power dynamics to communication skills to brain science to handling technology appropriately. Readers will gain an understanding of how certain "good-enough" parenting styles contribute to the problem, and how ACEs (Adverse Childhood Experiences) affect all of our lives.
1st Covenant Church of Oakland • Allen Temple Girl Scouts • Bay Area PLAN • Berkeley Rose School • Bret Harte Middle School • California PE Teachers (training) • CAPP program (The Flourishing Center) • Community School for Creative Education • Corpus Christi School & Church • EBCRS • Envision Academy • Faith Network • Family First Foundation • Glenview Day School • Highland CDC • Horace Mann Elementary • Impact Hub Oakland • Joaquin Miller Elementary School • KidPower • Laurel Elementary • Lazear Elementary • Marcus Foster Institute • Melrose Community Council • Melrose Leadership Academy • Montera Middle School • Oakland Parents Together • Oakland Peace Center • Oakland Police Department (Schools team) • Oakland Tech • Oakland Tech Football • OUSD School Board • Peralta Elementary • Pleasant New Beginning Church • San Leandro SPED • Soul Shoppe • St. Jarlath's School & Church • St. Theresa School/Church • Studio One • The Liminal Center • The Mosaic Project • Westlake Middle School (partial list)
Aspects of the project include:
- The Zorgos Reader—a wealth of information, from resources mentioned in The Bullying Antidote to postings from around the web with the latest positive progress on this problem. Subscribe for updates!
- The Zorgos Project: Discussion Guide for The Bullying Antidote: A 44-page booklet that includes Guidelines, Group Norms, Icebreakers, Sign-in Sheet, "What to Do When" handout, Discussion Questions, and Certificate of Completion. Paperback or digital.
- A free online version of the discussion guide
- A worldwide call for artists to jam on the word "Zorgos!"
- Presentations and author appearances
- Nationally published articles & interviews
- Request Books here!
- Speakers are available to present to parent groups
- Volunteers are welcome and needed! Contact email@example.com
- MAYORAL PROCLAMATION! OCTOBER 15TH IS "ZORGOS DAY!"
For more information, see http://www.zorgosproject.org.