The White Building was designed by architect Clay N. Burrell and built by R.W. Littlefield in 1924, for owner Mrs. Addie E. White, widow of William H. H. White. Although the building has 150 feet of frontage along 15th Street, the building is actually fairly small -- the entire lot is only 20.25 feet deep along Webster Street. This odd shape is a result of the fact that 15th Street between Franklin and Jackson Streets was not created until the 1920s. Similarly small lots were also created along 17th Street between Franklin and Harrison Streets, which opened about the same time.
On November 12, 1985 the White Building was designated Oakland Landmark #LM 85-319, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Harrison & 15th Streets Historic District. The Oakland Heritage Alliance has named the White Building as a winner of a 2014 Partners in Preservation Award.
327-349 15th Street/1464-1466 Webster Street, Oakland, California
- Oakland White Building
- National Register of Historic Places Registration Form, Harrison & 15th Streets Historic District