William White Dames ran a photography studio at 911 Broadway in Oakland, c.1887-1911. By 1903, the studio had merged with William H. Arrowsmith, renamed Dames & Arrowsmith, and moved to 1116 Washington. By 1911, it was Arrowsmith Photo Studio.

F. O. Haussler ran a photography studio at 911 Broadway after Dames, et al, had moved out in 1892. 1

The 1899 directory lists:

  • William W. Dames - 2517 Central Avenue, Alameda
  • Fred H. Dorsaz - photographer for W. W. Dames. 831 Myrtle Street
  • Frank E. Smith - photographer for W. W. Dames. 1300 7th Street
  • Lucy C. Wood - bookkeeper for W. W. Dames. 2018 Telegraph

The 1903 directory lists:

  • William H. Arrowsmith - 1505 Brush St.
  • W. E. Cardin - employee for Dames & Arrowsmith, Mojave House
  • William W. Dames - photographer, 1219 Harrison St.
  • Mrs. A. C. Dames - Dames & Arrowsmith, 1219 Harrison St.
  • Miss Sine Frandsen - retoucher, Dames & Arrowsmith, 316 13th St.
  • William S. Hannan - employee, Dames & Arrowsmith, 1017 16th St.
  • Miss Alice S. Jackson - artist, Dames & Arrowsmith, 4384 Howe St.
  • Harry A. McClellan - bookkeeper, Dames & Arrowsmith, 1750 Myrtle St.
  • Miss Edith A. Stone - retoucher, Dames & Arrowsmith, 1001 Jackson St.

See the photo of Sarah Henshaw.

photo from Wm. Dames studio
photo from OMCA collections, Mrs. A. W. Baker
photo of mayor Frank K. Mott
photo from OMCA collections
gallery
lithograph from Oakland and Surroundings

Links and References

  1. 1892 ad for Haussler Oakland Tribune May 24, 1892