Ye Olden Oakland Days

In the spring of 1850, the Patten brothers and Moses Chase, mentioned in my previous article, leased 150 acres of land from Antonio Maria Peralta and began farming, and the next year they leased some 300 or 400 acres more, Their line ran a little to the north of the residence of John Watson (east side of Lake Merritt) and extended east to the residence of John Carey (near upper Fourteenth avenue), and on the west and south their lease was bounded by the lake and estuary. In after years, the Pattens, Chase and others acquired title to the leased property, and also a tract extending east to Sausal Creek (Fruitvale). Chase made his home on his portion for the remainder of his life and his house, No. 404 East Eighth street, is now occupied by his grandchildren.

The section first above described was laid out into blocks and lots and was known as Clinton, but was not incorporated. Adjoining on the east a section was laid out in blocks and lots and was known as San Antonio - later as Brooklyn. Near the foot of Commerce street (Fourteenth avenue) was the first embarcadero or wharf, from which the Spanish residents shipped their products. The site of the embarcadero was later covered by Laure's wharf.

In 1870, the town of Brooklyn was incorporated and embraced the former town of Clinton and San Antonio, and also a small section to the northeast known as Lynn. On November 4, 1872, the town of Brooklyn was annexed to and became a part of the city of Oakland.

On May 4, 1852, an act incorporating the town of Oakland was presented to the Legislature by H. W. Carpentier and passed. Governor Bigler was advised not to sign the bill and at first refused to do so, as it was charged the parties in interest were squatters, and without title to the land sought about to be incorporated; and he was finally prevailed upon to sign the act.

The first board of trustees were A. W. Barrell, A. J. Moon, Edson Adams, A. Marier and H. W. Carpentier, the latter, however, did not qualify.

Belonging to the town there were about 10,000 acres of overflowed land, known as the waterfront, which by an ordinance introduced by Trustee Barrell was given to Carpentier by his associates in consideration of his building a small schoolhouse (22x38) and erecting a wharf at the foot of Broadway.

(To be Continued)