Curator Susie Mott with Oakland schoolchildren, c.1927
photo from Camron-Stanford House collections

The Oakland Public Museum (1907–1965) was located in the Camron-Stanford House on the shores of Lake Merritt. The house was purchased from the Wright family by the city of Oakland in 1907 for $40,000. The museum was started three years later in 1910, and Charles P. Wilcomb was hired as the first curator. 1

The Oakland Public Museum was the first teaching museum west of the Mississippi, and was a regular destination for Oakland student field trips. In 1965 the museum merged with other museums to become the Oakland Museum of California.

Links and References

  1. Camron-Stanford House website