Named by the British Antarctic Survey in the 1950s in honor of John Biscoe, who may have made landing there in 1832. Though originally a small point of land at the edge of a glacier-- Biscoe Point is now an island! The name "Biscoe Islands" already belongs to another chain of islands farther south along the Peninsula, and therefore this smaller island remains "Biscoe Point" for the time being. Perhaps the name should be changed to Biscoe Rock/s?
Biscoe Point is often visited by the birders despite being 5 miles outside the boating limits. They're tracking a small colony of adelie penguins.