Tanneries were an important part of the American economy in the 19th century. The Lawrence County tax records reveal a list of individuals who owned and operated these businesses between 1843 and 1854. This list was copied verbatim from the Powhatan State Park archives, and has not been conclusively verified.

Name

Location

Year Taxes Paid

Hammond, J.B.

NE ¼, SE ¼, Sec 18, T18N, R2W, 40 acres; ½ mile due west of Imboden

1843

M______(name illegible)

Unknown

1843

Johnson, Thomas

NE ¼, SE ¼, Sec 18, T18N, R2W, 80 acres; South of Imboden; Hope Cemetery

NW ¼, NE ¼, “      “ 40 acres

NE ¼ , NW ¼, “     “ 40 acres

1844

Kinyon, Henson

NE ¼, SE ¼, Sec 18, T16N, R1W, 160 acres, 1 ½ miles south of Portia

1847-48, 1850, 1853-54

Milligan, John

NE ¼, Sec 1, T15N, R4W, 160 acres; 1 ½ miles west of Strawberry

NW ¼, Sec 2 “    “

NE ¼ “       “

SW ¼, Sec 1 “      “

SE ¼, Sec 2 “       “

NW ½, ?? ¼ “     “ 80 acres

SW ¼, NW ¼, Sec 12, T15N, R5W, 40 acres; three to four miles east of Cave City where Grange Road crosses Reeds Creek; an old frame house still stands close to the spot

1847-48, 1850-51, 1853-54

Panick, Jacob

Unknown

1847, 1850

Eldrege, Solomon

Unknown

1848-49

Sullivan, N.H.

Unknown

1848-50

Moore, R.J.

NE ¼,NW ¼, Sec4, T18N, R3W, 35 acres; Three miles west of Ravenden, near Opposition

1849

Jones, Samuel

SE ¼, SW ¼, Sec11, T17N, R2W, 40 acres; near intersection of Hwy 63 and Clear Spring Road

1851,1853,1854

Linly, A. (possibly Abraham Lindley at Powhatan)

E pt, SW ¼, Sec 32, T17N, R1W, 12.77 acres; southeast of Powhatan, east of Black River

NW ¼,Sec15, T16N,R1W,75 acre; Horner Bay, about 2.5 miles southeast of Powhatan

1851

Wilson, John M.

SW ¼,Sec3,T16N,R3W,160 acres; two miles south of  Smithville, east of Hillhouse Cemetery

1854