The Raleigh Electric Company built this building and its coal-fired steam-driven turbines to power Raleigh's electric street car system and to augment power supplies for the city. The structure's tripartite arrangement, featuring a gable-front roof and structural-steel framing system faced with common bond brick, reflects typical industrial design of the era. Its life as a steam plant likely ended in 1930 when the boiler house became a storage area. In 1998, the building was rehabilitated for commercial use.
|513-515 West Jones Street|
|ca. 1910, 1930|
|Early 20th-century Industrial|
Raleigh Historic Landmark
National Register of Historic Places