The First Presbyterian Church is a rare surviving example of the Romanesque Revival style in Raleigh. Located at the southwest corner of the Capitol facing Union Square, the church addresses its corner site with an angled entry. The irregularly shaped red-brick building exhibits heavy, asymmetrical massing and rounded arches. The open bell tower, surrounded by small copper-capped pinnacles, is particularly commanding.
The congregation was among the earliest in the city, organized in 1816 by Reverend William McPheeter, who was then serving as "Pastor of the City."
|112 South Salisbury Street|
|Raleigh Historic Landmark|