At the start of the twentieth-century, the once-rural freedman's village of Oberlin had grown into a tight-knit community of middle-class African American families. Oberlin had well-established churches, small retail shops, and the highest rate of home-ownership of all Raleigh neighborhoods. The James S. Morgan House is a notable surviving house from that period and it represents the second generation of Oberlin residents. Wilson W. Morgan, one of Oberlin's earliest settlers and a member of the North Carolina General Assembly from 1870 through 1892, built the house for his son James around 1900. Private residence.
|1015 Oberlin Road|
|Raleigh Historic Landmark|