The Jordan House, circa 1898 is a handsome two-and-a-half-story, late Queen Anne style house with high, slate-shingled, hipped roof with cream brick corbelled chimneys. The house also has a veranda that sweeps around the two street elevations, pushing out into an octagonal bay on the corner. The Jordan house moved from its original location at 532 N. Wilmington Street to 545 N. Blount St. in July 2008.
By 1901, Dr. Jordan and his wife lived in the home. Dr. Jordan was a distinguished physician and served on the first sanitary board in Wake County during the early 1900s.
The house is a large and handsome frame dwelling of late Queen Anne style. Especially fine features of the popular style are the high hipped slate roof, tall cream-colored brick corbelled chimneys, and the stylish veranda which sweeps around the front and side elevations, pushing out into an octagonal pavilion at the corner. The original narrow weatherboards are a stylish feature as well. The delightful decorative brackets of the veranda and the bell-curved slate roof of the pavilion, with its turned finial, were a visual landmark to motorists passing by along Peace Street when the house
stood on its original site at the northeast corner of N. Wilmington and Peace streets.
545 N. Blount Street
Raleigh, NC 27601