Lassiter Mill Park is located inside the beltline (intersection of Old Lassiter Mill Rd & Lassiter Mill Rd) and is home to a large dam where Crabtree Creek flows through. There are remnants of the old working mill on the other side of the creek. There is also a plaque with information about the mill on the bank of the water.
The site was originally called the “Great Falls of Crabtree” and was used by succesive mills starting about 1780, a decade before Raleigh’s creation. Cornelius Lassiter purchased it in 1908 and built two 40-horse turbine wheels to mill grain and lumber. It burned in 1959, but the family continued to make use of the property until current times.
Expensive homes now surround the small city park. There are picnic tables, a canoe put-in, and fishing spots.
|Old Lassiter Mill Rd & Lassiter Mill Rd, Raleigh|
Add link here