Today we welcomed Justin to the team from the last IR meetup. He noted that Amy from ExitEvent also suggested one of their goals was to provide resources / connections to the region. We should definitely reach out to her.
I also briefly met with Atticus from HQ Raleigh and he has their resource list setup definitively in a Google Spreadsheet. It's a collection of resources (people and companies) with < 5 text fields each separated by general category. Turning this into a resource tool for HQ members is goal #1, with extension to events (Derrick's list) following up. A final thought I had with this is that each "resource list" has a "curator" of sorts -- or someone that vouches for those people being on that list. Besides them being the owner of the list, I think it's a great place to start in our app -- and something that a tool like Product Hunt handles today.
Goals of the app:
- Curation - Aggregation of Resources
- Curation - Distillation of Resources
We prioritized features of the overall system into different 'buckets' of releases:
- Admin CRUD of Resources (Managing content)
- Tagging / Classification / Types of content
- Intro "Guide"
- Voting / Ranking Algorithm / Limiting
- Socials / Reviews
- Location / GPS / Map
- Calendar / Time / Events
- User submitted content
- Advanced filtering and search
- Integrations (Meetup.com, LinkedIn, AngelList, ExitEvent, etc...)
Some options we have for implementation
Adopt another network
- Any others?
Buy / OSS & Customize another platform
- Q&A / CRM / Volunteer Mgmt / Social Network OSS Platform
Build on a framework
- Ruby on Rails
Build from scratch
- NomadList-like (data/table driven)
- StartupStash-like (custom HTML/CSS Static Page)